Department of Earth, Environmental & Planetary Sciences

Independent Research Projects and Honors

Seniors often choose to complete an Independent Research Project or "Senior Thesis.”

With the guidance of a faculty member, they may conduct laboratory, computer-based, and/or field research.  One semester of GEOL 1970 (Independent Research Project) is required for ScB concentrators and is often completed by AB concentrators as well. Some students choose to complete two semesters of research and have two additional faculty readers participate in an oral presentation, making them eligible for “Honors.”